SUMMARY OF ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
- High school senior or college student
- Child or stepchild of member or former member of the U.S. Navy Submarine Force
- Unmarried on March 15 of year of application
- Under age 24 on March 15 of year of application
- Dolphin Scholars must either attend and be enrolled full-time at an accredited 2 or 4-year college/university and working toward an Associate or Bachelor degree, OR be working toward trade/vocational certification. Scholars attending any Military Service Academy are NOT eligible for the Dolphin Scholarship.
Sponsor must meet one (1) of the following requirements:
- Sponsor must be qualified in submarines and served on active duty in the Submarine Force for a minimum of 8 years.
- Sponsor must have served on active duty in submarine support activities (e.g., submarine bases, tenders and rescue vessels) for a minimum of 10 years.
-Years of service need not be consecutive; however, qualifying years must have been served on ACTIVE DUTY. Time served as a Naval Academy or NROTC midshipman, in Officer Candidate School, in "Boot Camp", or as a member of the inactive or Selected Naval Reserve cannot be used to establish eligibility.
- Time in service requirement may be waived by DSF if Sponsor qualified in submarines and was medically discharged or retired due to injury or illness which occurred in the line of duty.
- There is no minimum period of service for children of qualified submariners who were killed in the line of duty while serving in the Submarine Force.
For questions concerning eligibility of applicants or sponsors, please contact the Scholarship Administrator at:
Dolphin Scholarship Foundation
(757) 671-3200 Press 1, Option 2 Mon-Thur (9am - 2pm)