SUMMARY OF ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Be a child or stepchild of a member or former member of the U.S. Navy Submarine Force
- Be a high school senior or be currently enrolled as a student in a college or an accredited vocational or technical institute
- Be unmarried and under the age 24 at time of the application deadline, March 15
- Intend to or be enrolled as a full-time student working toward an Associate's or Baccalaureate degree at a two or four year accredited universtiy or college or be working toward vocational/technical certification at an accredited institute. Scholars attending any Military Service Academy are NOT eligible for the Dolphin Scholarship.
- Be the dependent spouse of a member or former member of the U.S. Navy Submarine Force
- Intend to or be enrolled as a full-time or part-time student with a minimum of 12 credit hours per year in order to receive an Associate's or Baccalaureate degree at a two or four year accredited universtiy or college or be working toward vocational/technical certification at an accredited institute.
Restrictions on Eligibility
-Former Dolphin Scholars who have received the maximum amount of scholarship funding ($13,600) are not eligible to apply for a vocational/technical scholarship.
- Members of the immediate family of any employee of the Dolphin Scholarship Foundation are not eligible to receive a Dolphin Scholarship.
Sponsor must meet one (1) of the following requirements:
- Sponsor must be qualified in submarines and served on active duty in the Submarine Force for a minimum of 8 years.
- Sponsor must have served on active duty in submarine support activities (e.g., submarine bases, tenders and rescue vessels) for a minimum of 10 years.
-Years of service need not be consecutive; however, qualifying years must have been served on ACTIVE DUTY. Time served as a Naval Academy or NROTC midshipman, in Officer Candidate School, in "Boot Camp", or as a member of the inactive or Selected Naval Reserve cannot be used to establish eligibility.
- Time in service requirement may be waived by DSF if Sponsor qualified in submarines and was medically discharged or retired due to injury or illness which occurred in the line of duty.
- There is no minimum period of service for children of qualified submariners who were killed in the line of duty while serving in the Submarine Force.
For questions concerning eligibility of applicants or sponsors, please contact the Scholarship Administrator at:
Dolphin Scholarship Foundation
(757) 671-3200 Press 1, Option 2 Mon-Thur (9am - 2pm)